Thursday, March 7, 2013

Gracie- official welcome post

As you know, we recently adopted a puppy. As you also know, I'm completely shameless when it comes to my animals.

Last Wednesday night Chad and I went to dinner- our first "real" date night since we moved into the house a month ago. He all of a sudden got pretty serious and said he had to ask me an honest question.

He asked if I felt we were ready for a dog.

I felt like he was proposing all over again...I knew that we hadn't been in the right place for a dog the past few years (and Chad kept telling me we would wait 5 years or so..let's be real, he probably never meant that!) but I was SO, SO happy to know he wanted a dog as much as I did! So, we talked the whole dinner about how our opposite schedules work perfectly for a puppy, who would only be home alone a couple of hours at a time. We talked about how we now owned a house with a big backyard and how we could easily fence it in this spring. We ended dinner with chocolate mousse pie & the decision to start puppy hunting. His one request? We adopt.

That night I found a lovely shephard/lab mix on petfinder.com through a place called Great Dog Rescue. I filled out an application and sent it in, only to get an email that night that the puppy I'd inquired on was already spoken for. I went to Great Dog Rescue's page & looked at their other puppies and that is when I saw "Alice."

I called Chad over and we were in love immediately. Funny how you just know sometimes..right? 

To make a very long story short, we welcomed this beautiful girl from Tennessee into our home three days later and named her Gracie, after her Southern roots. She loves to play and is quickly learning "fetch." She has mastered "sit!" Who knew a dog would love praise almost as much as treats?

Our plans for Gracie are endless. She is SO outgoing and personable and has met (and won over!) both of our parents. We're SO glad that she enjoys the car (sits shotgun- there's no other way!) & we love her opinions. (She just doesn't see what the big deal is with chewing Daddy's police shoes- so when we talk them away and give her one of her toys, she responds with grumbles and "talks" to us explaining why she should have the shoe.) 

We're looking forward to getting her out and about this spring- fishing season is coming for Chad and nicer barn weather is coming for me so she'll be one active dog! We can't wait to introduce her to my parent's dogs & all of our friend's hounds, too! Gracie is already in high demand. 


She LOVES her bed & will go in by herself to take one of her 7 or so daily naps.
She also LOVES. LOVES to go for walks and is pretty fantastic on the leash! Good Gracie! 

Oh, another nap?

Did I tell you she wants to be an elephant when she grows up?

She uses those massive "mitts" as Chad calls them to make her bones easier to chew.

Like I said...7 or so. They come at whatever time is most Gracie-convenient. Like while playing.

She's a total ham. :) 

So far, Gracie has been nothing but an absolute joy and an amazing addition to our family. (The cat disagrees..but he's warming up to her..I can tell.)

 I am just going to put this out there- if you are looking for a puppy, or adult dog, or senior dog, or whatever, consider adopting. I am so glad that we made the choice to save a life. :) 

Love, peace, & Chicken treats,
Janelle 

No comments:

Post a Comment